Website Link

Visit the 'Jo Bain - Artist' website at www.jobain.co.nz

Monday, December 29, 2014

What whale?

Few people know that last year in Raglan I had the most mind blowing encounter with a young orca whale. I love Raglan to bits and photograph everything but this time I thought I'll leave the camera and soak up what this place is all about and really SEE it…
The boys, Muzz and jack were building in the dunes, I walked along the waterline edge into the inner harbour. Felt so at peace and one with everything. I was actively scanning the waves,   crossing my mind how I'm always too busy to notice,  at that exact second I see a fin.
Then again closer, next he comes up a third time right by me. Its a small teenage orca eyeballing me, so close, the water falls away deep in the channel, me with my toes on the edge, he a few feet away.
We just look at each other for the longest time then he moves off, I look around to see if atone else has seen and next thing he has turned around and come back so I walk, he swims along together… 
Then as the others start to run down the dunes he picks up speed and moves off still next to me but pulling away, I look beyond my friend the whale and see a large Orca and infant beside her across the harbour, his family…. my family join me and they can't believe what they saw. I felt like he sought me out, it was the most intense incredible experience.
It was such a spiritual moment it is hard to explain in words, I have been reluctant to paint about it but slowly these paintings are evolving. They need to convey that tranquility and peace.
 I felt chosen and so full of love.
If you observe carefully you will see my orca appear quietly in paintings,  he is always with me and I often hold my greenstone whale tail and remember that day.